Darley, J.M. & Latané, B. (1968). Bystander interview in emergencies: Diffusion of responsibility. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 8(4), 377-383.
Scenario: Culture, Psychology, and Community
Imagine an international organization has approached you to help resolve an inter-group conflict. You are an authority in cross-cultural psychology and have been asked to serve as a consultant based on a recent violent conflict involving a refugee community in your town and a local community organization. In the days, weeks, and months leading up to the violent conflict, there were incidents of discrimination and debates regarding the different views and practices people held about work, family, schools, and religious practice. Among the controversies has been the role of women’s participation in political, educational, and community groups.
Part 1: Developing an Understanding (2 pages)
- Based on the scenario, explain how you can help integrate the two diverse communities so that there is increased understanding and appreciation of each group by the other group. (Note: Make sure to include in your explanation the different views and practices of cultural groups as well as the role of women.)
- Based on your knowledge of culture and psychology, provide three possible suggestions/solutions that will help the community as a whole. In your suggestions make sure to include an explanation regarding group think and individualism vs. collectivism.
Part 2: Socio-Emotional, Cognitive, and Behavioral Aspects (2 pages)
- Based on your explanations in Part 1, how do your suggestions/solutions impact the socio-emotional, cognitive, and behavior aspects of the scenario and why?
Part 3: Gender, Cultural Values and Dimensions, and Group Dynamics (2 pages)
- Explain the impact of gender, cultural values and dimensions, and group dynamics in the scenario.
- Further, explain any implications that may arise from when working between and within groups.
Support your Assignment by citing all resources in APA style, including those in the Learning Resources.