Select four (4) of the following questions and answer each in an essay format. Please be sure to include an introduction and a conclusion for the assignment.
- What vitamin is synthesized by the skin? Explain why this vitamin is critical for various physiological processes.
- Four-year-old Susie loves carrots. Her skin has turned orange from a pigment found in carrots called beta carotene. Briefly explain how long it will take for Susie’s skin to return to its normal color and why.
- Why should a surgeon cut along the tension (cleavage) lines when performing surgery?
- Christina’s fair skin flushes red when she exercises. What is the name of this condition and why does her skin appear red?
- In the laboratory, your professor presents a bone for study. She explains it has a diaphysis and epiphyses. Determine the type of bone, by shape, that she has presented and explain how you came to your conclusion.
- Brittle bone disease (osteogenesis imperfecta) usually results from a collagen deficiency. Explain how a collagen deficiency affects bone structure.
- How does an epiphyseal plate differ from an epiphyseal line? Six-year-old Matthew broke his femur and one of his epiphyseal plates was damaged. Explain the role of the epiphyseal plate in longitudinal growth and predict the effects of a damaged epiphyseal plate on his future longitudinal growth.
- A hypothetical drug reduces osteoblast activity, but has no effect on osteoclast activity. Predict the effects of this hypothetical drug on bone resorption and bone deposition.
Length: 750 – 1250 words
Structure: Include a title page and reference page in APA style. These do not count towards the minimal word amount for this assignment.
References: Use the appropriate APA style in-text citations and references for all resources utilized to answer the questions. Include at least two (2) scholarly sources to support your claims.