Discussion: Linking Marketing to Other Functional Areas
In many ways, marketing strategy is a focused version of the company’s strategy and, as such, should be aligned with the financial and other goals of the organization. For most organizations, growth is necessary in order to continue to fund innovations and market expansion and to create opportunities for existing and future employees. Growth, which affects the entire organization, is spurred by effective marketing, so it makes sense that marketing is integrated strategically with other organizational functions.
For this week’s Discussion, review the following scenario:
Your employer is planning to shift resources from employing a direct sales method to using distributors and creating an online direct distribution presence. As a marketing professional, you are asked to address the strategic impact of marketing on other functional areas of the organization.
Post a cohesive response to the following questions:
- Explain the impact of marketing on other functional areas of the organization by addressing the following questions:
- What types of human resource issues should management be aware of and sensitive to when making this change in distribution methods?
- Should your employer make the decision to eliminate the existing sales force? Why or why not?
- Beyond human resources, what other functional areas should be involved in the implementation plan for the change in distribution strategy?
- Based on the sales force decision you support, what ethical issues need to be considered? Thinking more broadly, what does this tell you about the connection of ethics to strategic marketing?
Read your colleagues’ postings.
Respond to two or more colleagues’ posts in one or more of the following ways:
- Recommend actions that the organization can take to mitigate potential impacts on other functional areas of altered strategies mentioned by the colleague.
- Expand on other human resource issues mentioned by the colleague that could exist, and suggest alternative means to address those.
- Identify other areas within the organization that might be affected, and describe the potential impact.
- Provide a synthesis of what you have learned about the role and impact of marketing decisions on the organization that provides insight to a colleague’s post.
Click on the Reply button below to reveal the textbox for entering your message. Then click on the Submit button to post your message.