Read the case study to inform the assignment.
Case Study: Fiona
It is the beginning of the second semester, and Fiona is having a great deal of difficulty in her mainstream algebra class. Prior to this year, she was receiving instruction in the resource setting. At her eighth grade transition IEP meeting, her parents expressed their wishes that Fiona be in the mainstream algebra class, despite her special education teacher explaining that low reading comprehension negatively affects the understanding of math concepts. Fiona understands basic concepts of algebra but has not mastered the skills needed to move to the higher-level concepts her class is now working on. Currently, her math performance has been measured two years below grade level and her reading performance one year below grade level. Fiona’s general education math teacher has spoken with her parents about the possible need for additional support, and her parents have agreed to help at home, as they do not want her being pulled out for resource at this time.
The following goals have been identified by the special education teacher collaborating with the general education math teacher for Fiona:
- Simplify addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division equations [e.g., (2x + 6) + (4x + 7) = 6x + 13].
- Solve expressions with variables (e.g., 3x = -24).
- Write and solve the algebraic equation in a real-life word problem.
Part 1: Strategies
As the special education teacher, select two researched-based instructional strategies that could be used to help Fiona meet her identified goals.
Instructional strategies should include:
- Explicitly teaching related vocabulary
- The use of the concrete-representational-abstract strategies
- Graphic organizers
- Mnemonic devices
- The use of assistive technology
In 250-500 words, summarize the recommended instructional strategies, rationalizing their appropriateness for Fiona’s goals and ability to help motivate Fiona to meet her goals. Include specific tips for implementation.
Part 2: 3 Day Unit Plan
Design a comprehensive mathematics unit plan based on the goals identified for Fiona. Outline three sequenced lesson plans, using the “3 Day Unit Plan Template.”
Your unit plan must include:
- Appropriate augmentative and alternative communication systems and assistive technology to make the lesson content more accessible.
- Integration of both formative and summative assessments to demonstrate mastery and support the generalization of learning for the student.
- Integration of an appropriate ELA writing standard related to Fiona’s third identified goal.
Part 3: Home Connection
In 250-500 words, explain how you plan to involve Fiona’s parents in meeting her goals. Include a specific at-home activity to help in her continued success.
While APA format is not required for the body of this assignment, sold academic writing is expected, and in-text citations and references should be presented using APA documentation guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
Support your choices in Parts 1 and 3 with 1-2 scholarly resources.